Tuesday, December 1, 2015

It happens to all of us

You know how some mornings you just wake up, for want of a better word, cranky? It may be that you didn't sleep well, or had a bad dream, or are coming down with a cold, or are worried about something, or maybe you have no idea at all, but you wake up out of sorts.

One of worst things we can do when we wake up out of sorts is create problems in our relationships.   I woke up out of sorts this morning, and as is my usual routine, after brushing my teeth and getting dressed, went to the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast.

I tend to run the dishwasher at night after dinner, and sometimes don't turn it on until going to bed, so I typically unload the dishwasher while I'm making my husband's coffee, and then finish before making my coffee and breakfast.

But, this morning was one of those cranky, out-of-sorts mornings. As I was unloading the dishwasher, I started to get aggravated.  "Why can't I just sit and do a puzzle while someone brings me coffee and does chores?" my internal voice asked angrily.

WHOA!  In the family division of labor in our house, this is my chore.   We each have our things.  We help each other when needed, but mostly, we have divided and conquered and that is how our house runs.

Before I went too far down a bad road with my thoughts, I asked myself,"Who would be doing this if you lived alone?".  Ouch.  It would still be me, and I would have a lot of additional chores too.

If I really want a swap of responsibilities, or a different division of chores, all I need to do is say so at a time when I'm not cranky and out-of-sorts.

I'm embarrassed to think about how many times in my life to date I have started an argument, or been mean-spirited with someone for no other reason than I was in a bad mood.  For no other reason than I allowed myself to be unreasonable in my thoughts, and let that manifest itself in my actions.

I think we all do that.  On the journey through life, if there is one thing you can work on, it is self-awareness.   There is no reason to visit your bad moods or bad days on anyone else.

Everyone has bad days.  Everyone gets aggravated.   As you grow in self-awareness, it is a good thing to question the angry and unkind thoughts that pop into your head.   Are you suppressing emotions? Is there something out of balance in your life or your relationship that needs to be addressed?  When you analyze why you are suddenly aggravated with normal, you can get answers to what needs to be done, and a lot of the time, it is nothing.

I wake up at night, and can't fall back to sleep, thinking about the times I have failed to be kind, to behave in a loving way with those I love.  I try to forgive myself, and I commit to doing better, but the times I have hurt people through my action or inaction are acts I have to own for my eternity.  I don't need more.

We never know how much time we have on earth, or how much time we have with any of the special and important people who share our lives.  Try as hard as you can to remember how much you treasure people and your relationships with them, and let those thoughts guide your words and actions.

Everyone has bad days.   Not everyone contaminates other people's days with their bad karma.

Try to practice self-awareness every day.   Then maybe on your next bad day you can re-direct before causing any harm.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has finally occured to me what disturbs me about this blog. Instead of musing in ones head the voice ends up telling people what they ought to do.

    ReplyDelete