Friday, November 27, 2015

Political Correctness

I have been seeing numerous posts on social media lately disparaging political correctness.  It is kind of amazing to me that when you name something, it immediately becomes something to argue about.

When I looked up the definition of political correctness, Google served up this definition:

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

So, when people say "Share if you are sick of political correctness", what they are really saying is they are sick of not excluding, marginalizing or insulting people who are disadvantaged.  Really?  Is that really who you want to be?

I wish the term politically correct had never been created and normalized.   When I was growing up, not participating in derogatory, insulting or excluding speech was considered being polite.

I was raised that you don't curse, or swear, or use insulting language.  I'm not saying that I haven't cursed, or sworn, or used insulting language, but my parents raised me to believe it is wrong and unkind to participate in that behavior.

I try hard to not participate in mean speak.   I also try to be truthful.   So far, there have been very few occasions where being truthful meant I had to participate in mean speak.

That is not to say that the truth is alway comfortable.  Sometimes the truth is ugly, and feelings can get hurt when the truth is hard to hear.   Using destructive language just adds insult to injury.

There are so many words to choose from in the English language, I find it hard to understand why people want to use the hurtful words.

I seriously doubt that there is anyone on earth who has not felt "outside" at some point.  Left out of a joke, left off of an invitation list, left alone when you wanted to be part of the crowd.

We all know the isolation that brings.  Why would anyone, knowing how lonely life on this planet can be at times want to use their words to make someone feel "outside"?  Feel isolated?

Words matter because people matter.  Choose your words wisely and carefully.  Forget about political correctness.  Is it true, is it kind, is it necessary are the questions you should ask yourself before you speak on subjects that could be hurtful or divisive.

You never know what burdens someone is carrying, or how much they may be hurting inside.   You never know when the words you say to someone will be the last words you ever get to say to them.

Choose kindness.   Choose words that lift up, not tear down.   If the world will ever be the best it can be, it will be because each of us chooses to be the best we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment