Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Choices

I am blessed with an abundance of friends who try daily to bring more good into the world.  They lift me up, and I am very grateful for their presence in my life.

Because they are so committed to doing good, and bringing good, and restoring hope, sometimes they get tired.  So this is my thank you letter to all the good people out there, trying as hard as they can to make the world a better place.

Dear Friend -

Thank you so much for being you.  When I wake up in the morning and listen to the news, I hear stories of heartbreak, of violence, of exclusion, of terror.   Sometimes, I want to pull the covers over my head, and just take a day off from the world.

But then I see you, or a post you put on social media, or you give me a call, and you remind me that there are amazing, generous, hopeful people all around me, committed to making the world a better place.

Words don't mean much, I know that, so today, here are the things I will do to thank you for being you.


  1. Today, I will respond to anger and hate with love, and a sincere desire to understand the place that the anger and hate is coming from.   I will pray for the heart of the angry and hurting person to be healed.
  2. Today, I will worship creation.   I will notice the sky, and the earth, and the amazing creatures we share the planet with.   I will spend time in nature and leave nothing but my footprints to sully the land.  I will celebrate this wonderful planet we share.
  3. Today, I will read at least one thought provoking article, or blog post, or book that challenges me and my personal world view.   I will consider all the worlds I know nothing about, and appreciate the value of diversity.
  4. Today, I will tell my people I love them.  I will do this through word and deed.  I will do my best to be kind and helpful to everyone whose path crosses mine.
  5. Today, I will perform one random act of kindness.  I will deliberately go out of my way to make someone's day better.
This is just a small token of my appreciation for you, and insignificant in a way, because you do these things every day.

But, I'm still in the process of becoming, and I hope by having you in my life, I am becoming more like you.

Love,
Anne Marie



2 comments:

  1. You are the change agent the world needs. I am the change agent the world needs. Love is the answer!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete