Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Grey and blustery days

A cold front came in last night, and today is a grey and blustery day.  There is no sun, and I can hear the wind howling outside my window.  I'm very grateful to be in my warm house with a cup of coffee.

It can be easy on the grey days to let the greyness on the outside turn to a darkness of thought or spirit.  There are ways to combat that though.

Here are my top ten ways to combat the bleakness of a grey day:

  1. Call a friend who always makes you laugh
  2. Cook something warm and nourishing
  3. Read a heartwarming story
  4. Binge watch a favorite TV show
  5. Work on a craft
  6. Play with your pets
  7. Plan an event - as small as a movie or as big as a vacation
  8. Count your blessings
  9. Put on your favorite cold weather clothes
  10. Color
I strongly believe we can learn to control our thoughts, and the more we turn our minds towards positive thoughts, the more likely we are to feel positive emotions.

Learning to self-comfort is an important developmental skill, and the need for that skill never goes away.   Self-comforting rituals can be a very beneficial tool during times when the greyness is overwhelming.

Because, unfortunately, grey days are not the only provokers of bleakness of spirit.

Grief, loss, loneliness, isolation, depression, illness, and many other negative things can make life seem bleak.

As I've said before in this blog, clinical depression needs professional help - please never underestimate the severity of that disease.  Please never try to self-manage a condition that needs professional intervention.

I'm talking about the more manageable sadness and bleakness that are part of life.

Practicing self-comfort, and having a "go-to" list of activities to lighten my own spirit have proved invaluable to me on the grey days.

So, I'm going to work on a scarf for my sister.  I'm going to sit with my dogs while I do.   I'm going to think about my sister with every stitch - about how wonderful it is to have a sister like her.   I will remember how much fun it was to grow up with her, and how much I appreciate her as an adult.   I will think of the amazing gift she has given me and the world through her children.

And the day feels less grey already.................


1 comment:

  1. I like grey days . . . for me, they are an opportunity to be selfish with my time -- curl up and read a book or binge watch a new TV show. Sometimes you just need a break from all the 'sunshine' :)

    ReplyDelete