Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Another Year

2015 is coming to a close, and I'm glad.  It has not been my favorite year.   I'm hoping 2016 will be better, not just for me, but for lots of the people I care about.  There hasn't been any personal tragedy for me in 2015, more unexpected, unsettling events.  But tragedy has visited many of those I love.

I was listening to the radio the other morning, and the host was expressing how much she loves the New Year holiday.  She shared that she always experiences great hopefulness, and a sense of renewal as a New Year dawns.

Me too.   As the current year draws to a close, I am always excited about the opportunities the New Year will bring.  I always see the next year as the best year yet.

Sometimes, it doesn't work out that way, but I'm still filled with this hopefulness and excitement as the old year closes and the New Year begins.

Even though 2015 has not been my favorite year, there have been some amazing moments in this year that I will treasure.

I crate trained my dogs.  And got them used to their car seats.

I finally got a pool.  I love it as much as I thought I would.

I got to spend the day with a baby - without his mom and dad. (Thanks Jen and Jim)

I finally went sub 11:00 minutes a mile in a two mile and three mile race.

I walked over 1500 miles.

I rediscovered  my love of crochet.

I started a blog.

I started writing two novels and a novella.  (Finishing will be big in 2016)

I had a great visit with my daughter and son-in-law, and got to see them in January, April, June and August.

I got to visit my husband's family five times.

I did a better job of calling my friends and family than I did while working.

I saw a group of friends that I hadn't seen in years in December.

My husband and I finished a half-marathon together as the first place male and female racewalkers.

Forcing myself to think about and acknowledge the good in 2015 helps balance out the not good.

The life you have is the life you notice.   I'm rededicating myself to seeing the good in 2016, and to savoring it.

Every day offers the opportunity to choose to see the positive, the good.  Every day offers the opportunity to be a change agent for the good.

2016 will be my year to shine.




2 comments:

  1. I don't even have to comment about my 2015, but it is almost over and I am hoping for a better 2016. I am making a list of things to help focus myself and think I am going to even create a spreadsheet to track my progress (I know, right?). It sounds kind of silly but I am hoping that if I track my progress, a new normal will begin to solidify . . . and I won't need to track. You gotta do what you gotta do :) Thank you for your words of hope and inspiration -- to me, you have always shone, no matter the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I am focusing on being present for what's happening NOW instead of what I'm waiting for...here's to a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete