Friday, May 22, 2015

Dealing with the unexpected

I'm a planner.  I love a plan, and I love to execute plans.  On the last team I led, one of the team maxim's was "Go do is not a good job,"  because rushing into things without a plan can make a mess.

I think that the best results come from a good plan that is reviewed and revised.  That said, I'm not opposed to carefree impulsive times.  It is just if you want a specific result, I think your best chance of success is with a specific plan.

But what about when, in spite of all your planning, you get an unexpected result?  Does this necessarily mean you had a bad plan?

I'm going to refer back to my post on control.  For those new to this blog, here is link.

Control

There are and always will be forces in the universe that affect the outcomes we seek.  The essence of a life well lived is when your actions have good purpose, even if they do not yield the expected results in spite of your careful planning.

It may sound trite, but to be able to honestly self-evaluate after the unexpected happens, and to be able to say, "I thought about it, I made a good plan, I executed a good plan.  I did everything within my power to get the outcome I wanted.  This was just beyond my control." is incredibly comforting.

For many, the most difficult thing to live with is regret.  When you practice self-determination, when you plan and execute your plans, when you seek to have all of your actions bring good to those around you, you may experience disappointment, but you will seldom experience regret.

Life happens.  The unexpected occurs.  Control is an illusion.  The choices we make every day, however, become the life we live.  Live purposefully.  Make every day count.  Love abundantly.  The legacy we leave is not the result of our accomplishments, but rather the result of the good we bring to the lives we touch.  Each and every day.

Plan your legacy.  Live your plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment