Thursday, May 19, 2016

Lost my Zen today

Regular readers know that I try very hard to not put bad karma into the universe.  Total epic fail on that today.  I want to confess.

My husband and I were on our daily walk along Lake Pontchartrain.  There is a paved path that extends for approximately eight miles.  The path is divided into two sections, one for pedestrians and one for bicycles for about two of the miles, the rest of the way the path is conjoined, with traditional traffic directions.  You know, stay to the right, slower traffic on the far right.

So as we were approaching the last half mile of our walk, a bike was approaching at a high speed, very close to being on our side of the road.  We heard a noise, and my husband looked back.  The bike had almost hit a bicycle coming in the other direction, and that bike had to dive to the ground to not have a collision.

The bike rider got up, got back on his bike and took off in the direction of the rider who had caused him to crash.  My husband and I were disconcerted by this event, and hoped the guy who had been run off the road was OK.

Then another bike comes over the levee at a high rate of speed.  This bike headed right for us.  We stopped and moved to get out of the way, and he swerved to be on a collision course with us.  At the last second he swerved again to miss us, laughing hysterically, like this was the most fun he had ever had.

I turned and shouted,"It's not funny!" And he shouted back, "Yes it is you stupid bitch."  And so I yelled, "I hope you wreck you stupid prick."

Epic fail.  Bad manners.  Bad temper control.  Sending mega bad karma into the universe.  And I tried to feel bad.  But I don't.  And I really do hope he wrecks and can never ride a bike and put people in danger to amuse himself again.

So, I'll never be as good of a person as I want to be.  I will always get angry when people think that being reckless and endangering other people is funny.  I will always want those people to lose their ability to terrorize others.  And I will probably always tell them about it too.

But it makes me wonder what in the world happens to a person that they behave that badly?  I know that shouting at someone who has already shown you they are not a good person is a waste of time.  I'm not going to change that person.  I should have let it go.  I should have offered my angst up to the universe to protect the rest of humanity from people like that.

And I will try to do better.  But I don't think I ever will.  Because someone has to at least try to inform people of their bad behavior.  Someone has to at least try to show that not everyone will take their bullying quietly.  Someone has to try to speak out against reckless endangerment.  And it might as well be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment