Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Stuff

So, I changed the name of my blog yesterday, from "Anne Marie's musings on leadership", to just "Anne Marie's musings".  I was getting more and more uncomfortable every time I looked at the page, because I hardly ever talk about leadership or workplace issues anymore.

The further away I get from the work world, the more I feel like the behaviors that make a workplace a good place to work are the same behaviors that make the world a better place.

So why contain that to work?

I felt compelled to rename this blog because I don't want to deceive people.  The web address is still "Leading Happy People".  I don't think that is deceptive, because I believe my musings will help a person be a better leader, even though they are no longer all about leadership in the workplace.  And the happy people you lead can be your family.

This morning on the radio, the two hosts were asking each other if there was ever a day in your life that you would live over and over again.  I opined to my husband that I would live my wedding day over and over again, although the driving through the horrific rainstorm to get to our honeymoon, I could have done without.  Then I thought about it, and said, "I'd do Saturday over".  And I would.  Even though West Virginia lost the basketball game.  10K race, saw lots of friends, came home and spent the day enjoying each other's company.

Then I started to really think about it, and I have had too many days to count that I would gladly live over again.

And isn't that the point of life?  To make every day as good as you can?  Sure, there are plenty of days that I would never want to live through again.

But nowhere near as many as the days I would gladly relive.

Am I just lucky?  Or is it what I choose to remember?

You all know I am a fan of training your brain.  Do I selectively forget the things that would turn my memories into bad days?  Or maybe I focus on the things that make me happy so those are the only memories I create?

My wish for you is that you too create days that you would live over again.  We make our lives one day at a time.  If this one is not worth living over, what can you change to make it better?

I know that some of you reading this are going through days that you just want to be over, that you will never want to relive.

Focus on what is good.  Store the good memories.  Change what you can.  Every day you live that is not worth living over is a day you can't get back.  And we all have a fixed number of days.

Fill your time with things that fill your soul.  Fill your life with the people who pick you up.  Picture yourself in a day that you would live over again.  And then make that day happen.

1 comment:

  1. While I wish I could recreate a pile of days that Jim and I had during our nine years together, I am so very thankful to have had nine years of mostly 'recreatable' days. I keep those in my heart and when I am feeling especially low, I look at a picture of him and remember some of those days. Now, the recreatable days are a bit harder to come by as I am still finding my way. But two days do come to mind -- Christmas morning 2015 and being able to see Oliver's face when he saw the lit Christmas tree and all the presents and January 9 when Brandon, Jenny, Brooks and little Miss Reese just showed up at my door, from Texas, and totally blew me away. The joy that I believe was on my face and the joy in my heart . . . I was speechless (and you know how hard that can be :)). And I can recreate those again, at Christmas and by visiting because my grandbabies are helping with the healing process. Thank you for this wonderful post! P.S. While I know that you were not deceitful about the blog name/contents, I did wonder why it was more 'work-related' when you were retired ;) And agree that the concepts you presented really do apply to life.

    ReplyDelete