Thursday, September 10, 2015

Never and Always

Some days, I wake up and struggle for the words to write this blog, other days, inspiration falls into my lap.

This morning, my husband was relating something he read on an antique car online discussion forum, and the comments led me to observe that the words "never" and "always" can often cause the user of those words to have to retract their statement, or look misinformed.

Then, as I'm reading the news I see an article on CNN.com that a new species of human ancestor has been found.

Homo naledi

In my post earlier this week on Emotional Intelligence, I observed that all the truths we know are simply theories that have no data yet to disprove them.   This morning, I learned of a new archeological data set that calls into question all of the previous assumptions about human evolution.  I know the scientists will argue about this for years, so I am withholding conclusions, but am very excited that once again, the boundaries of what we know about human life on earth have been expanded.

Maybe I'm the only one that sees the "never" and "always" connection here, so let me explain.  "Never" simply means "not yet"; and "always" simply means "so far".

We are an evolutionary species, hopefully evolving as individuals as we progress through our lives on the planet.

This very evolution means that everything we hold true and believe can be called into question at some time in the future when additional or new data is presented.  I find this to be incredibly exciting.

I like the idea that new data will help me evolve as a person.  I like to think of myself as a person who will evolve in a positive way, but I understand and accept this is heavily influenced by the data that constitutes my future.

The more negative and difficult the experiences in my future data set, the more difficult it will be for me to choose to respond positively to those experiences.  In order to avoid becoming bitter, or resentful, or cynical, I have to choose carefully both my responses to those experiences, and how I will remember them.

I am that "light at the end of the tunnel"; "every cloud has a silver lining"; "the sun will come out tomorrow" kind of person.

We live in the world we create.   If the only positive that you can extract from a difficult experience is that you were able to survive it, that is still a positive.

In keeping with my overall philosophy of self-direction and illusion of control, I embrace that I cannot control what happens to me, but I can control how I respond to it.

I choose to discard painful memories once I have learned what I need to learn from them, and grown in the way I need to grow.

I choose to look for the lesson I am supposed to learn from difficult experiences.

I choose to respond compassionately to other's pain, even if I don't understand it.

I choose to try to help others through their dark days into the light again.

I choose to evolve into a more compassionate, loving, thoughtful person.

This blog represents the best me I try to be.   I don't always succeed.   Sometimes I'm petty.  And selfish.  And stubborn.  And hateful.

But when I see myself exhibiting those behaviors, I consciously redirect my thoughts and behaviors.

We live in the world we create.

Choose today to be the first day of making your world a better place.

Choose to evolve towards happiness, love and compassion.   I promise, it will be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment