Friday, September 18, 2015

My creative self

I shared a couple of months ago that I had reunited with my old hobby of crochet.  I have now completed three projects, and am more in love with crochet than I ever was before.



There is something amazingly satisfying about turning something into something else.   I start with yarn and a crochet hook (and a broomstick lace pin for the scarf), and I watch something entirely new develop.

Everything I have done so far required counting stitches, so there is something very Zen about the counting and repetition.

As my mind counts, and my hands create, the unconscious, dreamy part of my mind can go wherever it wants to.

What I find is that if what I am crocheting is for someone, my mind goes to them and the memories we share.  So, while I was making the sweater and mermaid tail for my daughter, I didn't miss her as much, because she was there with me in every stitch.  And now, when she wears her sweater or snuggles inside her mermaid tail, she can feel the love that was present for every stitch.

I often feel badly about how often I get to talk to my friends.  Having worked for a global company, and having moved from my native state, and having friends whose jobs moved them as well, I have friends all over the world. 

This is a great thing, but it can be so hard to keep in touch with everyone, and then there is the family I want to keep up with as well.

Social media has made it much easier to stay in touch, but the real connection and conversation is never as much as I wish it was.

I used to think that asking someone who crafts for something was kind of pushy and invasive.  Now, when someone asks me to make something for them, I'm thrilled.

It is a compliment, and it allows me to give that person the most precious gift I can give, my time and attention.

So, if you have a craft or a hobby, please don't be afraid to make gifts for the people you care about.

The gift of your time and talent is tangible evidence of your love and regard.  So, as I make each project, and continue to add to my list, I am also able to focus on the memories and relationships that have made my life so very beautiful.

I still don't have enough time to talk to everyone as much as I'd like to, but I hope as they receive gifts from my hands they know what a very large space they occupy in my mind and in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to approach your craft . . . makes me wish I had something creative in my skill set . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your baking skills are amazing! That is another creative process that expresses love <3.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful way to approach your craft . . . makes me wish I had something creative in my skill set . . .

    ReplyDelete