Monday, July 25, 2016

Diminished Output

I haven't been posting as much lately.  It seems that there is too much darkness, too much bad news, and I don't want this blog to be a dark place, yet I seem unable to find light to shine into the world.

I've been exploring the creative side of myself in cooking and crochet instead of in print.

I've been reading for a couple of years about making pizza crust using cauliflower, but every recipe I see has just too many steps and too much work.

Week before last, I had some leftover spaghetti sauce, leftover spaghetti squash, and some egg whites in the fridge.  I decided to try a spaghetti squash pizza crust.

Here's the recipe:

1.5 cups cooked spaghetti squash
1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup egg whites

First I mixed the squash with the cheese.  Then I sprayed an ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.  I put the squash/cheese mixture in the pan, and then poured in the egg whites to just cover the squash.  I baked that for 10 minutes at 400 degrees fahrenheit.

When I took the skillet out of the oven, I loosened the edges of the crust, and turned it out onto a greased cookie sheet, so that what was on top in the skillet was now resting on the cookie sheet.  I added spaghetti sauce, and fresh mozzarella cheese.  I baked for 15 minutes at 400.  Here is what it looked like:

The good news is the crust was good, not too eggy, not too squashy, and held up well to hold and eat like a slice of pizza.  The bad news?  The meaty spaghetti sauce was too chunky, and the fresh mozzarella too wet.  So I think I will do this again, but use a thicker, smoother sauce, and a low moisture mozzarella.  But it was so easy, and worked as a pizza substitute with low-carbs.  And it really did taste good.

Next I'll tell you about my pot roast soup, and then today's adventure, Jambalaya stuffed bell peppers with Creole Tomato Sauce.

Just writing is therapeutic for me.  I hope you all don't mind this detour into my culinary adventures.  I need to write, but I need to lighten up.  I think this will take me through this little dark spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment