Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Feeling Thankful

Forty-Two years ago today, I was Confirmed as a Christian in the Catholic Church.  Confirmation is a big deal for Catholics, and when I was a child, the tradition was to be confirmed in the sixth grade.

The day of my Confirmation was extraordinarily hot for April 19.  The temperature zoomed into the nineties.  My confirmation class was also extraordinarily large - there were so many confirmants that even our confirmation sponsors didn't fit into the church, so we had sponsors by proxy.

If I remember correctly, each confirmant was allowed one guest.

But that is not the part of the story that leaves me feeling thankful.  I was the third of four children, and when you are third of four, and eleven going on twelve, it is easy to feel overlooked, kind of lost in the family dynamic.  I know as an adult that my parents loved all of us the same, and that I was very blessed with a loving extended family, but at eleven going on twelve, things aren't always perceived the way they are.

What I am feeling thankful for today is the person who always made sure I felt special, my Aunt Frenchy.

Aunt Frenchy was my godmother, so that made me special to her in a way that only those of us who have godparents and godchildren really understand.

On my confirmation day, my Aunt Frenchy was in a rehabilitation hospital, recovering from a stroke.  I was very disappointed that she would not be able to come to my confirmation party, or see me on my confirmation day.

The night before my confirmation, Uncle John (Aunt Frenchy's husband) called my mom and dad, and arranged to come and pick me up to take me to the rehabilitation hospital so that I could see Aunt Frenchy on my confirmation day, in my confirmation dress and robes.

Even at eleven going on twelve, I knew what a big deal it was for Uncle John to take off work so that he could pick me up and take me to see Aunt Frenchy.

On the way to the hospital, Uncle John told me that Aunt Frenchy had been very upset that she was going to miss my confirmation, and so he thought that by surprising her with a visit with me in my dress and confirmation robe would be a very good thing.

I still remember how excited she was to see me, and how she had me take off my robe so she could see my dress, and how she had me turn in a circle so she could see all sides.  Then I had to repeat the process with my robe on.  We only stayed at the hospital for maybe 20 to 30 minutes, but it was a great visit.

I went to my Confirmation knowing I was special and beloved.

The extraordinary part of the story is that the stroke that Aunt Frenchy was recovering from left her without the ability to speak.  But she never lost the ability to communicate. As an adult, I appreciate the great love Uncle John had for Aunt Frenchy, that he always knew what to do to cheer her up.

Through all the twists and turns of my life, Aunt Frenchy was always there with her unwavering love and support. And for that, I will always be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment