Friday, February 10, 2017

Why I love reading

I finished reading the book "Treasure Me" by Christine Nolfi last night.  The book was the second book in the Liberty series.

The lead female character in the book, Birdie,  is a pickpocket, and petty thief.  Her mother is a felon, and her father also a thief who has been in prison for most of Birdie's life.

In real life, I would find it hard to give Birdie a chance.  In fiction, it is safe to give Birdie a chance.

I had read a book years ago, "Runaway Mistress" by Robyn Carr.  (Re-released in 2016 as "Swept Away".)  The lead female character in that book, Jennifer, was a professional mistress.  She was orphaned young, with no marketable skills but incredible good looks.  Men took care of her.

In real life, I would find it hard to give Jennifer a chance.  In fiction, it was safe to give Jennifer a chance.

The theme of both books was one of inclusion and redemption.  They both told a powerful story of women who were born into or lucked into bad circumstances, who made questionable life choices to survive, and who eventually rose above their questionable and/or illegal behavior to be good citizens.

Can people really do that?  Can petty criminals find a path to a better law abiding life? Can women who have traded their bodies for survival move on to lives with good employment and stable family life?

Does life imitate fiction, or does fiction imitate life?

And that is why I love reading.

It makes me question everything.  I often profess to believe in every human's ability to be a contributing, productive member of society.  But do I really believe it?

What do I know about being eleven years old in a ratty motel, not knowing where my mother is and having not eaten for days?  Who wouldn't pick a pocket if they'd been taught that skill, or grab money out of a purse to get something to eat?  Or steal food from a store?

When I read about a character who does these things, the author typically lets me see inside the character's mind.  I can see their fear, their frustration.  I can see if they desire and enjoy the life they have, or if they yearn for a better life.

I have known people in my life who chose to do things that hurt other people.  I have known people who stole, I have known people who are violent, I have known people who seem to have been born without a conscience.

I can't see what they feel or think, I can only see what they say and do.  And, as much as possible, I avoid those people.

And when I read books or stories of redemption, I wonder if I should try harder to see what those people feel and think and give them a chance.

In all the stories of redemption I have read, redemption is always aided by someone who cared enough to try to help.  It takes an amazing amount of courage to try to help.

I think I'm pretty good at helping those in my safe world when they need a hand up.  There are always people who need love and support.

But the most needy among us won't typically appear in my safe life.

No answers here, just questions.

But it is why I love to read.  Because reading challenges me to open my mind, and to open my heart.

There are a million realities out there I know nothing about.  Reading allows me a glimpse into them.  Reading allows me to question myself and my actions and motivations.  Reading opens my eyes to all the realities I do not experience.

I hope you find something to read that challenges you.  That makes you think about things differently.  That makes you wonder about things you have never wondered about before.

Reading provokes me to grow, and sometimes that growth is painful.  But it is always worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment