Monday, August 8, 2016

Blog Stats

One of the cool things about using blogger is that you can look at your statistics.  One of the statistics that surprised me is the distribution of countries that my blog readers come from.

While the dominant number of readers are from the United States, Russia is actually second, followed by Germany, France and the United Kingdom.

Most of the traffic comes in from Google or LinkedIn.

The most views any one post got was the post Having a Jesus Moment, which got 45 views.  Everyone's best doesn't look the same and the Legacy of being picked last are tied for second with 39 views.  Third place goes to Control, with 36 views.

No 2016 posts are in the top ten for page views.  I only have 1 follower, who I truly appreciate.

I'm intrigued by the idea of people in so many different countries reading my blog.  If you are reading this, and are not in the United States, I would greatly appreciate if you would comment with your location.  I know I lot of my thinking is influenced by the fact that I have always lived in the United States, and I appreciate that people outside the country are still interested in what I have to say.

I started writing this blog because I wanted to continue to make a contribution, even though I no longer work in corporate America.  I pictured myself adding inspiration and comfort to the world with my words.

Sometimes, I think I am accomplishing that goal, sometimes I think I am falling woefully short of that goal.  But I keep plugging away, looking for inspiration, trying to make it better for someone somewhere who is touched by my words and feels less alone.

I have learned that words are more difficult to write than to speak.  I have also learned that I am as uncomfortable taking a strong position that might cause discord in writing as I am in conversation.

I also learned that sometimes what I feel needs to be said has to come out in my blog.

I learned that it is easy to get your feelings hurt.  One comment fairly early on was this "It has finally occured to me what disturbs me about this blog. Instead of musing in ones head the voice ends up telling people what they ought to do."   I wanted to respond in many different ways, and then responded with humor.  And I realized my muse is bossy.

I want a better world.  I'm writing fictional novels where it is a better world.  I try to inspire or provoke people to think differently with my blog, with the hope of there being more kindness, more tolerance in the world.  And I have realized that results in my telling people what to do sometimes, and asking them to try to behave differently other times. And people can perceive that as preachy or as bossy.  I have learned to live with that.

Sometimes the lack of comments on my blog bothers me, but then again, I see that the posts are getting read, so if no one has anything to say that is fine

I worry sometimes that I may have offended someone with a blog post, but I accept that no one has to read past the first sentence if the post is going somewhere they don't want to follow.

As with everything, I'm learning.  Learning about me, learning about the blogosphere, learning about the people who read my posts.

And so I'll keep posting.  If you have topics you would like me to cover, let me know.  In the meantime, I'll keep watching my stats, and thinking about all of you who give me a little bit of your time by reading my thoughts.





2 comments:

  1. I think the major reason why I don't write in public is that I would not take criticism/less than positive comments very well . . . I am a delicate little flower ;) Especially in a place where people can write with anonymity (essentially) and say what they want and be mean if they want (and we know that people are because they can in this wild internet). So, I totally appreciate/admire your bravery in blogging and allowing me inside your head because, if anything, it is fascinating as hell! Keep doing your thing because I totally appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon! I totally appreciate you and your comments.

    ReplyDelete