Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Preservation

Yesterday, I read through all the posts I have written for this blog.   I found that I go back to a couple of overwhelming themes.

  1. Life is all about relationships
  2. You end up living the life you create
  3. There is always the option to be kind
  4. Everyone lives in their own reality
This morning, I read a very interesting article in the New York Times, about a man who died alone.


The author wondered about those people we have all read about, those who die alone and it takes days, weeks, or months for someone to notice.   He wanted to document the process that happens after one of these deaths, and what he could about the life of one of those people.

The article is an amazing read - and it impacted me profoundly.  I found myself feeling very sad for Mr. Bell,  that he died so alone.

Then, I thought maybe he lived and died exactly how he wanted to.  Everyone lives in his or her own reality.  Maybe some people like to be alone and disconnected. 

But as much as I preach we are all different, and we all have our own reality, I just can't make myself believe that someone would live alone, surrounded by garbage and hoard things if they are happy with their life.

I think some people prefer solitude, and are more comfortable alone.   I think that even these people need some close relationships.   I think if a person has no close relationships, it can be very difficult to see when an unhealthy behavior starts getting out of control; like eating too much, or drinking too much, or hoarding things.

And I think once an unhealthy behavior has become a habit, and there is a big mess to clean up, no one can tackle that mess without help.  From the story, it looks like once George's mother died, there was no one close enough to try to help.

One of the most poignant things for me about the story of George Bell is it seems he never forgot to always be kind.

So, my mind will stay troubled by the story of George Bell.  An ordinary man who was kind to others, self-sufficient, who created a reality that manifested in him dying alone in an apartment full of stuff, with no one knowing he passed away until a neighbor noticed the smell.

The lesson for me my friends is to keep building relationships.  Keep opening myself up to the other universes you all live in.   Keep interacting, and allowing people in, so that if I start to go in an unhealthy direction, there is someone to help me right my course.

The other lesson is to continue to call and write to my friends, even if I am always the one making the overture.  I never want to find out that someone I loved died alone and unnoticed for days.  I will continue to treasure my relationships, and I am rededicated to invest the time needed to keep them healthy.

Because, after all, we live in the life we create, and life is all about the relationships we have and preserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment