Monday, November 9, 2015

Little things

The more time I spend on the planet, the more I realize that the little things in life are the most important.  We tend to give incredible time and energy to the big things, the transitions, the life events.  But those things are so fleeting, and the sum of life is in the little things.

What kind of little things am I talking about?

Little things like taking the time to say "I love you"  to all those you love.

Appreciating the soft touch of a paw asking for some snuggle time.

The sweet smell of a baby's neck after a bath.

The amazing sight of your children jumping up and down in excitement because you are home.

The smell of good food on the stove.

The warmth of freshly laundered clothes coming out of the dryer.

The touch of a hand when you have received bad news.

The beauty of a bright fall day.

The sound of your mother's voice on the phone.

The warmth of your father's smile.

The pure certainty that you are right, but letting it go because feelings are more important than winning arguments.

Remembering that love is bigger than irritation.

Picking up the debris of a happy home life without complaining, because you know that debris is so much better than living alone.

Homework, and school events, and afternoon play time.

Quiet prayers for strength, and in gratitude.

Solitary time for reflection, and time spent in quiet companionship.

Waking up in the middle of the night and checking on the living creatures that share your home.  Children, pets, significant others.

The sound of rain on the roof when you are warm and dry inside.

Sunsets.

Shared laughter.

We can get so busy planning for the big things, then documenting and remembering them, that we miss out on the magical moments that happen each and every day.

Commit to the moments.   Commit to remembering the moments. The longer I live, the more moments I wish I could have again, as living creatures I love have left this plane of existence.

So I am more cognizant of the moments that make up my life.   I stop and appreciate.   I choose gratitude for the interruption of my schedule, because it means I have a living creature that wants my time.

And when I have to say goodbye, I have a storeroom of moments to treasure.

Don't let the business of making a life get in the way of celebrating the life you are living.

Treasure the little things.

1 comment:

  1. The little moments I miss the most that no one saw . . . Jim coming into my office during the day to tell me something funny, just to tell me something he read about, to 'preen' for me, to give me a neck rub, to show me something he had made . . . these are the little things that I miss the most. And now, because of your post, I need to make sure that I recognize/appreciate all the little moments with whoever is in my life -- because tomorrow is not guaranteed and you might get another day of preening <3

    ReplyDelete