Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Barabbas

My regular readers know I am Catholic.  I'm not the most devout, and I don't always agree with the Church's teachings, but I think I will always identify as Catholic.

For Catholics, the most important day of the year is Easter.  This is the day that created our faith tradition.  This is the day that we believe Jesus Christ rose from the dead, bringing us eternal salvation.

But it is always bigger than Easter Sunday.  Lent is an important part of preparing for Easter, and Palm Sunday and the Triduum (Mass of the Lord's Supper, Good Friday of the Lord's Passion, and Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord) are some of the most profound religious experiences in the church year.

One of the things that Catholics do each year is listen to and participate in the reading of the Passion of Lord.  In most liturgical years, at least two of the four gospels are presented.  The gospels are read by multiple readers and the congregation has parts that they have to recite.

These readings have always been very difficult for me.  There is a spot in the Passion where Pontius Pilate offers the crowd the release of a prisoner.  The crowd can choose Jesus, or the criminal, Barabbas.  The crowd chooses Barabbas.  As a member of the congregation, I am asked to reply "We want Barabbas!"  or simply "Barabbas!".  Every time I have to do this it hurts my heart.  I have never, and will never understand why that crowd wanted to crucify an innocent man and free a criminal.

We attended Stations of the Cross every Friday during Lent while I was in grammar school.  The prayer during one of the Stations (I don't remember which one) was this "Please help me to remember that whenever I support hatred, or bigotry or anger, I crucify Jesus all over again".

I have many friends who identify as Catholic, and as Christian.  And right now, in real life they are screaming "Barabbas!" except really, they are screaming, "Trump!".

They are finding every excuse possible to defend the separation of families coming to America seeking asylum. They do not care about facts, or about right and wrong, or about humanity or morality or justice.  Trump says tearing these families apart is necessary, so they believe it.

I don't know what God they pray to.  But the God in the Old Testament, and Jesus in the New Testament continually implore us to welcome the stranger, care for the needy, and house the refugee.

The same people who scream we are a Christian nation have completely turned their backs on the teachings of Christ.  They hide behind excuses for their barbaric indifference to the suffering of others.

I have been sickened by watching this.  I have tried my entire life to not judge people, but I am failing miserably on this one.  God is watching.  Anyone who is indifferent or supportive of the policy of separating these families will have to answer to God. 

Shame on anyone and everyone who supports this horrifying practice.  You have sided with Pilate.  You have asked for Barabbas.  You are crucifying Jesus all over again.

If you believe in a just and merciful God, pray for mercy.  Your soul is withering with your embracing of true evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment