Wednesday, June 8, 2016

High Anxiety

I think that I have shared before that I have a fear of bridges.  It all started when a span in a bridge near my home failed when I was six years old.  All bridges have been suspect since that time.

Add in that there have been numerous recent engineering studies that confirm the state of the bridges in America is deplorable, and my fear shows absolutely no sign of receding.

Living in Southeast Louisiana, you can't really go very far without crossing a bridge of some sort, even if it is only a bridge over a canal.  What's a girl to do?  Find the bridges where the fear can be managed.

There is one particular bridge that I'm very comfortable with, and that is the Hale Boggs bridge which crosses the Mississippi River between Luling and Destrehan, on Interstate 310.  This bridge has a couple of things going for it.  It is relatively new, it opened in 1983.  It is really pretty.  And I had to cross it almost every work day for twenty years.  And I have run or walked across it at least fifteen times.  And I've watched how well it is maintained and repaired since 1986.

So, the combination of familiarity, aesthetics, and necessity have made it relatively easy for me to cross the Hale Boggs Bridge.  As mentioned earlier, knowing how well the bridge is maintained contributes to my comfort, but it also presented a problem today.

You see, the bridge has been undergoing major structural repairs for the past four months or so.  They have closed one side of the bridge at a time to allow for the repairs.  This has resulted in very narrow lanes, no shoulder, and only one lane on the southbound side.

The idea of driving in that one lane with no shoulder and no exit was too much for my bridge anxiety, so I tried a different bridge.  That didn't turn out to be a good idea.

The Veterans Memorial Bridge crosses the Mississippi River at Gramercy in St. James Parish with St. John the Baptist Parish.  It is a very high bridge as all Mississippi River bridges must be, and it has a very steep approach and descent.  That steep approach and descent were my undoing.  By the time I got to the top of the bridge, I thought I was going to pass out from the fear.  I was so glad to get back on the ground on the other side.  But I knew I couldn't face crossing that bridge again, and I had to get home.  So I went with the familiar Hale Boggs Bridge, even though there was construction and narrow lanes.

What is the point of sharing all this?  We are all subject to fears and anxieties, and we can't always control those.  They may have a rational basis, or they may be completely irrational.  But we have to find coping strategies.  We have to find a way to complete the life tasks that must be completed.

It can be very isolating to deal with your fear and anxiety.   Try to remember that there are many of us struggling with our fear and anxiety, and you are not alone.  Reach out to others.  Talk about your fears.  Share your anxieties.

It won't make them go away, but the next time you drive an extra fifteen or twenty minutes to cross the bridge that doesn't scare you so much, you will know who you can call who will understand.

The easiest things in life can be hard for some of us.  Opening up to others so that they can share their hardships can lighten the load for both of you.

I was able to share with a friend how difficult it had been for me to cross that bridge, and I found out that she too has a fear of bridges.  We were able to share coping strategies, and she gave me a great tip for how to navigate the construction on the Hale Boggs Bridge.

Once again, admitting my imperfections allowed a friend to help me cope with them.

Have courage, my friends.  There are a world full of people who will help you if you only give them the chance.

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention that you are not wild about driving . . . I like that you are able to put yourself out there like that, sharing your fears. Like you said, it is not easy to share given society propensity for ridiculing/bullying when something is not 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete