Thursday, May 26, 2016

Waking up happy

I saw a friend this weekend that I hadn't seen in awhile. I happened to mention that my birthday was on Sunday.  My friend asked how old I was going to be, and I said fifty-six, but in my head I still feel fourteen.  She was surprised, and shared that she felt old a lot of the time.

So, that got me to thinking, why do I still feel fourteen in my head?  Why don't I feel old?

And I think I came up with the answer.  I think I still feel fourteen because I still wake up most days with a happy sense of anticipation.  I look forward to the day.  I'm always expecting something interesting, or fun, or cool, or exciting to happen.

And I'm ridiculously easy to please.  I look forward to my daily walk, and think about who I might see, or what kind of birds may be out there.  One day I saw a bald eagle.  That was AWESOME!  Another day I saw a really big alligator.  That was freaky!  But cool.

I look forward to checking my Facebook, email and LinkedIn, because I never know when I will hear from an old friend, or see something really funny or interesting.

I look forward to writing this blog, and my novel.  I love the way my novel is writing itself, informing me of where the story is going.

I look forward to seeing a new book being published by a favorite author, a new yarn that looks like I need to make something out of it, a new crochet pattern for me to learn.

I look forward to putting yarn in my hands and creating something.

I look forward to cooking.

I look forward to the next road race, and enjoy training for new accomplishments.

I look forward to the next trip to see family and friends.

I look forward to the next stage show, play or movie.

I look forward to the next amazingly cute and funny thing Beaux or Scarlett will do.

In short, I am excited about being alive.  And about discovering more about myself and the world.  I'm excited to learn new things and test myself.

I know I am incredibly fortunate to be able to wake up happy most days.  I enjoy good health, and my husband enjoys good health, and my children enjoy good health.  I am blessed with financial security.  I know many people do not enjoy these things.

But because I am so fortunate, and wake up happy with so much to look forward to, I don't feel any different than I did at fourteen.

And so I'm surprised sometimes when I look in the mirror and see my fifty-six year old face.  And my crepey skin creeps me out.  But I like the way my gray hairs make my hair look sparkly in the sun sometimes.

I believe that no matter how old this body gets, or who looks back at me from the mirror, as long as I wake up everyday with a sense of happy anticipation, I'll always feel fourteen.

And that is just one more thing to wake up happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment