Friday, May 13, 2016

Slowing down time

Time is such a relative thing.  We think that every second is equally long or short, but our perception of time is very fluid.

Let me explain.  When watching Wheel of Fortune, the time for the contestant to solve the puzzle goes incredibly quickly, as usually you also are trying to get the answer.  On the other hand, Jeopardy had to make a theme song to play while the time to write the answer for Final Jeopardy is written down, because it seems to be a long time. Because typically, you either know the answer, or you don't. So the perception of time passing is changed.

I was especially conscious of time passing, and how it feels like it is passing more quickly or more slowly this past week.

My husband and I went to West Virginia to see his Mother and family for Mother's Day.  On the drive, I crocheted while my husband drove.  The miles flew by.  The minutes flew by.  I was engrossed in my task, and didn't notice the passage of time.  Until I dropped my crochet hook and it rolled under the seat to a spot where I could not retrieve it until we stopped.

All of a sudden time stood still.  I fidgeted.  I tried to see if I could safely get the crochet hook.  I tried to distract myself.  Nothing.  The next two hours lasted a lifetime.  Then we got stuck in traffic.  We both knew that the family was expecting us at around four.  It was six by the time we got there.  Those hours crept by, but then the three hours visiting flew by in an instant.

The moments we want to hang on to go by oh so quickly, and the moments we dread last forever.

How can we slow down time when we are enjoying life?

First, remove distractions.  Put away your mobile device.  Turn off the television.  Music is OK, but no talk radio.  The crochet was a great distraction while on the road so that I did not distract my husband from his driving.  Not a great way to focus when I could be focused on family.

Second, immerse yourself in the moment.  Pay attention.  Paying attention allows you to make and store memories, so that the good times can be relived.  Listen as much as you talk.  It shows people they matter to you.

Third, appreciate.  Think about who you are with, and why it is so good to share time and experiences with them.  Think about the past and imagine the future as you share the present.  Express your appreciation in words and in actions.

Fourth, avoid topics that divide you.  Arguments can make time fly or stand still, but they rarely make for good memories.  Try to keep to topics that create harmony, not discord.  There will always be tension in families.  As best as you can, be the peacemaker, not the instigator.

Fifth, share good memories.  Remind the people you are with of times in the past that you shared together.  Also, talk about other good memories and people in your life to enrich your relationships.  Laugh together.

Time will always fly when you are having fun.  Being with people you care about is fun.  Stay in the moment while you can.  You never know when your last visit with someone will be.  It would be terrible to not remember the visit because you were involved with your mobile device, or had an argument.

Time is fleeting and life is short.  Being totally present in the moments that you treasure is the best way I know to build a happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment