Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Long Road

I've been sick for the past two weeks.  A cold that turned into a vicious sinus infection.  About all I've been able to do is read or watch TV.  When I tried to crochet, I ripped out as many stitches as I put in.  Writing was impossible, my head too clogged and painful to put ideas together.

I'm still not myself, but I'm definitely on the mend enough to try to write a bit.

Because I have not been myself lately, I find myself thinking about how easy it is to take for granted if you have a pretty spectacular normal.

I'm not good at being sick because I haven't had a lot of practice.  That is a fortunate position to be in.

There are so many people around all of us that struggle with illness every day.  Some of those illnesses are visible and some are invisible.

I am awed by the strength of the people who manage to soldier on and have a productive life in spite of the burden of illness.

It is so easy to take our good fortune for granted.  It is so easy to focus on the hardship.

But for most of us, there is so much good.

Every unthinking breath you take is a gift.  Because there are many struggling to breathe.

Every unthinking step you take is a gift.  Because there are many struggling to move.

Every unthinking word you speak is a gift.  Because there are many struggling to speak.

I could go on and on.

So as I struggle to get back to myself, I'm working hard on appreciating how blessed I am in my everyday life.

There is always darkness, and grief, and fear to focus on.  And the more difficult your today is, the harder it is to turn away from the darkness, grief and fear.

Try to find the good, try to find the light.

Because each time we find the good, each time we find the light, each time we reach out to someone and help them to see the good and the light, the darkness is compromised.

There are so many people who need you to light up their world today.  It could be as small as a smile, or as large as an unexpected phone call or letter.

Be the light every day you can.

While I was feeling my worst, I got a handmade thank you card in the mail from a seven year old friend.  As terrible as I was feeling that day, I still couldn't stop smiling.  My heart was full to overflowing, and that made all my physical discomfort less.  I've looked at that card dozens of times while I was sick, and every time, it made me feel better.

You too have that power to make it better for someone who is struggling.

When you are feeling good, find a way to do something good for someone.  Whatever you can do, it is all important and valuable.

And then when the inevitable feeling bad time comes, the world may surprise you with a thank you from someone you were good to on one of your good days.

The darkness doesn't win when good people turn bad, the darkness wins when good people stop doing good deeds.

Every time you can, add kindness.  Add goodness.  Send people surprises in the mail.  You are never too old to hand make a card for someone.

Your surprises of kindness aren't about art or perfection. They are about love.  And love is always beautiful

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear that you were sick . . . It sucks, that's for sure. And now you know how I feel whenever I get a handmade card or piece of construction paper from Oliver - my heart just about comes out of my chest with happiness. I keep it on my fridge and every time I see it, I smile and feel good. I am thankful that his mother takes the time to do that with Oliver and send to me. And I try to return that whenever I can. Thank you for a wonderful post that should remind people that it is really the simplest things that can put a smile on our face and it takes almost no real effort to be kind in return.

    ReplyDelete