Monday, January 22, 2018

Hamburgers and Life

I started this post back in September or October - and ran into a wall trying to finish it.    I'll change the font color of the original words before I post the final version.

I was listening to the radio this morning, and the morning show host and the morning news guy were talking about one of the festivals in New Orleans this weekend, The New Orleans Burger Fest.

The show host asked the news guy how he liked his burgers.  The news guy replied he liked it simple, cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.  The host replied that he hated cheese on a burger, and was a fan of pickles, onions and mustard on his burgers.  The news guy was like no cheese?  And the host was like NO!  And then the host said "And isn't that just what makes the world?".

What it got me to wondering is why we can't be live and let live about more than just what you like to put on your hamburger.

Really, isn't that just what makes the world?  That we are all different and that we all like and don't like different things?  Why isn't that something we celebrate instead of fight about?

So much of the acrimony in the world and in the media and on social media is focused around our differences.  Differences are good.  They are interesting.

I hear so many people deciding that they know something about someone because of what they like.  So what if a person likes tattoos and has a bunch of them.  Or a bunch of piercings.  Or really long hair.  Or really short hair.  Or blue or orange or purple or green hair.

Some people like rock music, and some like gospel, and some like country, and some like oldies, and some like opera and some like classical, and it goes on and on.  Why should it matter what kind of music someone likes to listen to or perform?

And once you get past the superficial, if you think about it, there are many differences that are substantive that just don't matter either.

Don't we all bleed when cut?  Don't we all grieve when a loved one dies?  Don't we all hurt when betrayed or disregarded by those we care about?

What does it matter in the larger scheme of things if someone is Democrat or Republican or Independent?  If they are Christian or Jewish or Muslim or Atheist?  If they believe in big government or small government?  In states rights or a powerful federal control?

It seems that so many people I hear and see have forgotten that we have more in common than we have things that separate us.  Everyone is free to work towards creating a home where things are as they like them to be.  Everyone is free to believe whatever they want to believe.  Why is it so hard to allow that freedom?

I have many friends that I disagree with on a number of subjects.  Some of them are the kind of friends that I can explore those differences with, and get a better understanding of how they have arrived at their beliefs.  Some of them are the kind of friends that I just find other things to talk about.

The divisiveness and acrimony are only going to get worse until more of us try to make it better.

I think a good place to start is with the old adage, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.

I might not agree with some things I hear and see, but if someone is respectful and kind in their appreciation of something I don't appreciate, there is no need for me to comment.

There are very few people in anyone's life that can be influenced to change their position on an issue or a person.   Sometimes, I understand that we all have to try.  But I think presenting an opposing position in a positive way will always yield a better result than telling someone they are wrong.

I'm trying harder to just say what I think and feel in a positive way, rather than being negative about what I think is wrong.  I'm quiet a lot.

I truly want a world where more people can agree to disagree, where more people can recognize we are all more than our political or religious beliefs, where we value each other just because we are humans cohabiting on this planet.

Each time we chose to find common ground instead of formulating our argument, is a step towards a more civil and productive discourse.

I want to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment