Thursday, January 19, 2017

First, be a good human

On Saturday, I participated in a half-marathon.  It was a beautiful day on Santa Rosa Island, Florida.  The course followed the shoreline along the Gulf of Mexico, so there was some stunning scenery.  I race walk, so I have more time to appreciate scenery, because I move more slowly along the course.

At the start of the race, as at the start of every race, I study the participants.  Who looks fast?  Who do I think will be the winner?  Who looks nervous and uncertain of their ability to finish?  Who looks excited?

As the race got started, and as I walked the course, I marveled at the diversity of the human form, and the strength of the human spirit.  Along the course, I watched people who ran effortlessly, who looked like they were flying.  Beautiful form, poetry in motion.  I also saw many people who looked like they were struggling, some moving at a very fast pace, some at a very slow pace.  Overhearing conversations, there were people attempting to complete a half marathon for the first time, and people just trying to do better than their last half marathon.  There were people walking, and people running, and people walking when they got too tired to run any more.

No matter where in the pack, no matter the ability, no matter the stretch to complete the 13.1 mile course, we were all in it together.  And that manifested in the mood of the participants.  All around me I could hear people offering support and encouragement to each other.  While some people completed the course easier than others, 13.1 miles is a long way to run or walk, and it is a significant effort for everyone.  And we were all aware and respectful of the efforts of those around us.

We knew nothing of each other for the most part.  No names, no social standing, no wealth, no religion, no sexual orientation, no politics, nothing but that we were all humans, trying hard to accomplish a challenging task.  But all in it together, all supporting each other.

And for most of the race, I basked in this sense of oneness with the participants.  Their energy fed mine, their struggle called on me to encourage, their accomplishment called on me to cheer.  It was a great feeling.

After the race at the post race party, there is the opportunity to connect with friends and congratulate them on their accomplishments, but there is also the opportunity to make new friends, and to experience the joy of shared accomplishment.  Even at the post race party, where names are exchanged, there seems to be an unspoken consent to only discuss topics relevant to the event.  Training schedules, shoes, past races; a temporary respite from contentious subjects.

And as I thought about that day as I was walking this day, I thought about how every day is really just like Saturday.

We're all just moving through life towards the finish line.  Some of us are doing it with incredible grace, and look like we are floating through life.  Some of us are struggling mightily, and it shows.  Some of us have to stop a minute because it is too hard.

We actually know very little about most of the people walking through life with us.  The unfortunate thing is that the few characteristics we do know tend to separate us, rather than unite us.

It came to me today that when we realize we are all just trying to get through this day, this event, this challenge, this success; we can bask in our shared humanity.

That common ground always exists.  So when we can find no truth to agree on to move forward, we always have certain truths.  Life is hard.  Sad things happen.  Hurt exists.  Good things happen.  Joy is real.

The shared truth is easy to see at a half marathon.  It is harder to see in life.  But the shared truth is there.

So, the next time I find myself despairing of finding common ground with someone whose politics, religion, world view or social status is different from mine, I'm going to remind myself that shared humanity is enough.

And I'm going to find a door to open to start to build understanding.  Because I want a better world.  I want to do my part to make that better world happen.  And I can't do it by myself.  But I can build a platform of shared humanity and build from there.  And so can you.


No comments:

Post a Comment