Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Finding my voice again

I haven't written much in this blog lately, because, frankly, the US Presidential election caused me to lose my voice for a while.

I listen to people say that anyone having trouble accepting the outcome of this election is a sore loser.  That is not it at all.

My problem is that I am a thinker.  I see the world as a complex interconnected place where actions have consequences.  Immediate and deferred consequences, visible and invisible consequences.

The consequences of electing Donald Trump President of the United States are not yet fully known.

I tried my best to find a glimmer of hope or optimism for the past three weeks.  I'm not finding any, and I'm no longer trying to find any.

Now it is time to use my voice to speak for inclusion, and decency, and compassion.

The United States of America is a mess right now.  The underbelly of anger, prejudice and hate that had been thinly covered is on display for all to see.  Hate crimes and harassment are increasing.  Swastikas are being spray painted in public parks, on churches, and on homes.

So what do we do?

Each and every one of us has an obligation to create the world we want to live in.  We have to start with our families, then expand that world to include our friends, and then all of our acquaintances.

I try very hard to keep conflict provoking posts off of Facebook, but I realize I have to modify my position.  I don't need to post provocative things, but I need to have the courage to speak out against post that feed the anger, prejudice and hate.

Part of why bad things happen is because good people are silent.  And passive.

And that is so hard.  Because I was raised that good children are quiet and obedient.

Obedience is not called for when people's rights can be violated.

I have to find the words to be encouraging.  I have to find the words to illustrate a path of inclusion and hope and kindness.

I have to figure out concrete actions people can take that do not place them in undue peril, but increase the goodness on display in the world.

Many people think this was just another election, and that the United States of America has survived other, worser things.

But I don't think so.

I think the United States of America will survive, but it will be a long time before we are what we used to be.  I predict massive redistribution of wealth, desecration of our public school system, loss of civil liberties, and loss of social safety programs.

I am unbearably sad for the people that will be directly hurt by the changes that seem inevitable at this point in time.

My charity will be more necessary than ever before.

My next couple of posts will probably be parables.  The best way for me to work to a place of light is through analogy, and parables will allow me to do that.

In the meantime, be as good and kind as you can to everyone you meet.  Kindness is not given because it is deserved, kindness is given because you are kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment