Thursday, July 2, 2015

Making the bed around the dog

Yesterday, as I was attempting to make the bed, my younger, smaller dog, Scarlett, jumped on the bed and decided we were playing the best game ever.

A part of me wanted to shoo her off the bed so that I could make it up nicely and neatly.  I almost did.  Then I looked at her dancing eyes and her wagging tail and joined the game.

The bed still got made.  It wasn't worthy of a photo spread in Better Homes and Gardens or Southern Living, but then again, it never is.

So many times in my life, I have chosen to quash a living thing's enthusiasm for life because it got in the way of a goal I was trying to achieve.  I wish I could get all of those moments back.

I realize more and more as I get older that no one, not even me, remembers how many small goals like making the bed neatly I have achieved.   But I do remember the times I wiped a smile from a face, I made a wagging tail droop, simply because I forgot about feelings in my pursuit of personal accomplishment.

If you read my blog regularly you know I am big on goal setting, on plans, on vision and on accomplishment.   All of that is still true.  What I forget to stop and think about and actively practice sometimes is that nothing is more important than relationships, and lifting up the people and animals you share your life with.

Discipline is necessary, but so is fun.   As I played with Scarlett yesterday while attempting to also make the bed, I recalled all the times someone wanted to play, and I denied them that play time because of some perceived "job" that had to be done.

I'm ashamed to admit I often attributed a motivation to the person wanting to play that most likely wasn't there.  I'm embarrassed that in my life I have said things like, "Do you want me to be late for work?", "Are you trying to make me angry?", "Do you want me to be doing laundry after everyone else is in bed asleep?", and other such ridiculous statements to shut down play and stick to my oh so important schedule.

Looking back, all that was being asked of me is that I prioritize time with a living being having fun ahead of an arbitrary schedule.  Life can't be all fun and games.  But being slave to a schedule and sacrificing feelings to it isn't a good answer either.

If I had a do-over, I would respond with "5 minutes for a pillow fight, then we have to get ready for work and school", or "Let's make silly faces in the mirror and then get back to cleaning the house", or "If you will help me fold the clothes we can play hide and seek for a half hour", or something compromising and embracing.

Life doesn't give do-overs.  So I am going to try harder to not stamp on feelings, to make time for fun.  I am going to try harder to stop, breathe, and think about what decisions I will regret, and which ones I will celebrate.

Life is too short to deny the people and animals that love you your time.  That is truly the only thing of value you have to give them.  Give your time generously.  If you are like most people, there will always be unfinished tasks on your "to-do" list.  The completion of those tasks won't fill your memory bucket with happy occasions to mull over on the tough days.   The time you spend enriching your love and relationships will fill that memory bucket to overflowing.

Play - laugh - enjoy.  The greatest legacy most of us leave is the happy memories we have created.   Work on your legacy.  I promise - you won't be adding to your pile of regrets that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment