Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lessons from Winnie-the-Pooh

A Facebook post this morning got me to thinking about Winnie-the-Pooh, and so I pulled my copy of "The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh" by A.A. Milne off the shelf, and started to read.

I'm not sure I ever indulged myself to read Winnie-the-Pooh as an adult for myself, by myself.  I had these stories read to me as a child, have read them to countless children, and have seen the Disney adaptations.  But there is something very special about reading these stories in the privacy of your head, listening with your heart.

Today I learned the following lessons while reading Winnie-the-Pooh.


    1. It is important to think about your friends, and if you haven't talked to them or seen them in a while, find a way to get in touch.
    2. We all make mistakes, dwelling on them doesn't unmake them.  Try to have a better day today than yesterday.
    3. Everyone deserves to have a song or poem written about them.  Even if it is silly.
    4. Agreeing with your friends doesn't make you wishy-washy.  It means you picked the right friends.
    5. Children (Roo) are often noisy, inappropriate and disruptive.  Celebrate that.  They will be adults soon enough.
    6. We all overestimate our capabilities.  And so we all fail sometimes.  Be a good friend and focus on the success that preceded the failure, or on the courage to try.
    7. Sharing a meal is more than physical sustenance.  It also feeds our relationships, and our souls.
    8. Everything is better when you have a friend by your side.
    9. Irrepressible beings (Tigger) can't be repressed.  Just enjoy them.
    10. Even a Bear of Very Little Brain (Pooh) has great ideas sometimes.   Don't ever discount anyone's ideas.
I know I have only just scratched the surface of the wisdom of Winnie-the-Pooh.  I know reading the stories this morning made me feel hopeful, and grateful.   Anything that evokes those feelings is worth spending time on.   I think I'll read some more tomorrow.  Feel free to share your favorite quotes or lessons you learned from Winnie-the-Pooh in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I am guessing that is the post about Eeyore, who is my very favorite Pooh character. It is interesting, and actually heartwarming, that these childhood stories have very real world, right now wisdom. I may have to buy me a copy of this book. And even some of today's 'kid's' movies have lessons for adults. One of my favorite recent movies (and Jim even watched it twice with me) is the movie UP -- it has always spoken to me in a way I cannot describe and it feels like Jim and I, don't know why. Thanks for this post . . . I am going to look up that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tigger was always my favorite, but I love Eeyore too. I've never seen UP - I'll have to see if I can get Cecil to watch it with me.

    ReplyDelete